Rise seeks a qualified individual to join its growing team working to protect the civil rights for sexual assault survivors everywhere. The Legal and Policy Analyst will wear several hats in a fast-paced and often-changing work environment. The incumbent will support all facets of Rise’s work by determining needs for research, data analysis, and writing and making recommendations on proposed policies and legislation, including but not limited to ensuring that state Sexual Assault Survivors’ Bills of Rights are thorough and accurate; drafting and providing Rise’s communications, UN, and state campaign teams with updated and accurate assessments of political and policy climates; and developing the research and reports necessary for Rise’s development team to raise money in a competitive and crowded fundraising climate.
The position is located in Washington, DC, but exceptional candidates with a case for remote location will be considered. Occasional travel will be required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, edit, and review internal documents and briefing materials, including informational memos, internal policies and procedures, and briefing materials
- Make recommendations and assessments on the efficacy of proposed policies and legislation
- Draft and amend proposed legislation and policy for use with external stakeholders
- Review, evaluate, and determine the drawbacks and benefits of legislation and policies of federal, state, and local legislative bodies
- Identify relevant data sources and research and draft reports focused on the implications and outcomes of sexual assault legislation and policies
- Working with Rise’s Organizing team, provide feedback on policies and proposed legislation to improve the desired outcomes
- Working with Rise’s Communications, United Nations, Accelerator, Development, and Organizing teams, determine and meet research and strategy needs for Rise
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree or higher preferred
- 2+ years of work experience in statistical, legal, or research positions, especially in political, nonprofit, or campaign organizations, or in statehouses or Capitol Hill
- Working knowledge of the federal and state legislative processes
- Deep understanding of and an ability to interpret and summarize the legal implications of legislative and policy actions
- Demonstrated ability to collect, interpret, and summarize data
- Self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and both independently and as part of a team
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with others
- Organizing experience or other exposure to campaigns preferred or legislative and policy development
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and G Suite
- An ability to remain in front of a computer screen for potentially long stretches of time
Email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Legal and Policy Analyst” as the subject line.
Rise is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified applications to apply regardless of disability, sex or sexual orientation, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, protected veteran status (if applicable), or any other characteristic protected by law.